Installing Docker on Windows 10 Home

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. Just buying an old win pro 7 key and to update win 10 home to pro is really the fastest possibility i guess instead fo working with some Workarounds. Thanks nugai worked like a charm.

Hi after running the scripts and making a change in registry the installation coninue without any errors. However after logging off and onn as sugested at the end I got error from starting daemon complaining about incorrect windows version. Thus ā€œdocker versionā€ cmd also finishes with error at the end, that no daemon is running.

An error occurred
Docker doesnā€™t support your Windows version. Check documentation for minimum requirements

1 Like

Hi, just ran both scripts, changed the registry, installed version 18.09.2, changed registry back, logged in, and ran hello-world.
So far everything working perfectly.

@mapk sry for not updating but I got Docker for windows working two weeks ago and it works perfectly without any problems. Today I was trying to trying to setup a virtual machine in virtualbox and when it didnā€™t work there I moved to VMware and it said that there was an issue when trying to start the vm as it something in hyper-v seems to block it. So I was wondering if there is a way to remove the hyper-v and containers things we did when we ran the bat script.
Or will resetting the pc reset everything to default state coz anyway I was going to reset my pc in April.

Indeed, with hyper-v installed and activated and registry change it is running now on my windows home.
Strange that these guys donā€™t support this from the start.

please read till the end
I was able to install Dockers in windos 10 home edition by enabling virtualization from BIOS and the Docker is working fine.
Steps for installing

1. enable virtualization from BIOS
  2. install Docker Toolbox
  3. use the Oracle virtualbox to create a virtual Linux image (used Ubuntu 18.X version)
  4. install Docker on the linux image and work out of it

followed this

Post the installation realized the easier thing would have been

1. create a bootable Ubnuntu on a thumb drive
  2. enable dual booting from bios
  3. install docker on Ubuntu

this is more clean and easy to do i think, please let me know your views.

Thank you @hessi9 and @mapk, it works flawlessly on Windows 10 Home

Holy moly. I canā€™t believe it worked. No docker toolbox and no need to create a VMā€¦ just Docker for Windows!

Many thanks @hessi9 and @mapk ! :grin:

Latest windows home update (build 18362) disabled docker for windows on my machine, re-ran the two scripts from @hessi9 and itā€™s working again. I couldnā€™t find the registry key from @mapkā€™s post though, not a problem as I didnā€™t need to re-install docker, but might be an issue for anyone trying to install for the first time, maybe roll back to an earlier version, install, then update and run the scripts again.

Thank you @hessi9 and @mapk!

Hello
You can try this may be itā€™s help you

Iā€™ve been running docker on my windows 10 home laptop for some time. After initial install the only thing I need to do to be able to execute updates (which normally fail on detecting my OS) is to set Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion from Core (used to be home) to Professional.

Iā€™ve used both *.bat scripts and made registry modifications: (Edition ID, Product Name) but when i run installer - i receive: Installation failed:

What is the reason?

Can somebody help please?

Thank you @hessi9 and @mapk! Youā€™ve saved my day, everything works like a charm! Ran two scripts and changed regestry.

Thanks a lot @hessi9 and @mapk . It works like a charm.

@hessi9 and @mapk +1, it worked for me too. Emphasis on run the .bat scripts as Admin since Docker will give you a windows error if the Hyper-V packages are not added properly.

Dear Docker staff, please simply support Win 10 Home? This seems like a pointless play on Win 10 configuration chess.

I signed up just to say that the method @mapk described using @hessi9ā€™s script worked perfectly for me.
I donā€™t remember if I ran both of the scripts and Iā€™m not sure how to check it (I donā€™t see anything like Containers on Windows Features), and I believe I changed only the ProductName variable on the registry, but donā€™t quote me on that either. Also, I didnā€™t have to revert this change, apparently restarting Windows to apply updates changed it back.
Anyway, thank you very much top both of you!

See my notes here about what worked for me: Installing Docker on Windows 10 Home.

The installation worked for me following @mapk and @hessi9 's instructions. Also, aruku64 I had the same issue, restarting after editing the registry reverts the changes. So you were correct, you need to edit the registry and then start the installation.