Issue with Portainer container installation

I am running Portainer under Docker on OpenMediaVault 6 (Debian). Yesterday I got around to upgrading Portainer from 1.24.1 to the latest version - 2.11.1. I first upgraded from 1.24.1 to 2.0.0, then from there to 2.11.1. I upgraded using the commands found on this page. Upgrading on Docker Standalone - Portainer Documentation.

docker stop portainer
docker rm portainer
docker pull portainer/portainer-ce:2.11.1
docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 -p 9443:9443 --name=portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:2.11.1

Docker is running and handling three other containers. The issue is that the ability to stop, start, restart, etc. Portainer is missing. The check box next to Portainer is grayed out and canā€™t be ticked. Iā€™ve repeated the steps to remove and reinstall Portainer but it still seems broken. Can anyone help? Thank you.

ptp

Portainer has its own forum. I mean we gladly help you if we can, but usually you would have better luck posting your questions related to Portainer versions on the Portainer forum.

The change you described does not look like a bug to me. It is better not to change Portainer through Portainer itself.

If you check the changelog of v2.11.1, you can find this:

• Removed the ability to edit the Portainer container: #5121

I am not sure that this change is responsible for the grayed out checkbox, but I think it is eiher this one, or an other similar change between the old and the upgraded version

2 Likes

I checked there, but the forum is basically dead. People complain of not getting help on the forum and say itā€™s because Portainer wants you to pay for support.

Thanks very much for the answer. Iā€™ll try dropping back to 2.0.0 and see if the problem still exists.

I dropped back to 2.0.0 and the checkbox is not grayed out. Thanks again for you advice.

It is indeed sensible that it is not allowed for portainer to update itself.
Iā€™ve tried it when it was possible, and it always broke, as portainer stopped itself during update, and then the update didnā€™t continue because portainer was not running to do the update. It cut the branch it was sitting on. :frowning:

The forums.portainer.io is not only dead, itā€™s gone, doesnā€™t resolve anymore.

Thanks for sharing. Some days ago I tried to search for this forum. I completely forgot that I posted the address here, but now at least I know it was not a temporary issue.

I personally donā€™t like Portainer and prefer to create my configuration files and run containers without a webinterface so i donā€™t really follow the changes.

Even though the forum is gone, Portainer still has community support:

https://docs.portainer.io/#getting-support

Community Edition, Five Node Free and Home & Student Users

Community Edition, five nodes free and Home & Student users can get support through the following channels:

If you feel you found a bug, you can report it on Portainerā€™s GitHub issues page.