Support for Windows Containers on Windows 10

Information

• With the release of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14352, support for Hyper-V Containers is now available in Windows 10
  • This does not seem to be compatible with Docker for Windows and requires one to uninstall Docker for Windows in order to configure Hyper-V Containers via the instructions provided here
  • Would love to see Docker for Windows updated to support the new Windows Container integration in Windows 10
1 Like

Thanks for reporting - we’re working on this.

1 Like

Perhaps you guys (Docker and/or the relevant MS team) could clarify how you see this will play out going forward? For a Docker user like myself (on *ux) Docker on Win is confusing right now. Installed the Docker beta yesterday, then 14352 landed the next day. And as you know they don’t play well on the same machine. Are you competitors of sorts going forward or did you just stumble on each others feet so to speak?

I’ve got the same problem. Did you install virtual box?

@bavalde: as @friism mentioned we are working on this (with the MS team). Both Docker for Windows and the Windows container features are in beta and under active development so it’s quite natural that the development is not always aligned.

you are certainly aware already, but the error I get from the daemon of the Docker installed via the Containers feature is:
"//./pipe/docker_engine: Access is denied"

And yes, I have Docker beta that is installed (before the Containers) and running fine.

As the daemon is certainly the same in majority of the code, could either Docker beta or Containers use another named pipe? is it even possible?
The goal is of course to be able to search either linux or (now) windows based images.

Just a heads-up, Windows Insider build 14361 is out and contains some improvements for Hyper-V Container.

Hope you are be able to make some good progress on integrating with Hyper-V Container.

Hi i am running .netframework 4.5 in windows container while running time i geting the output. if i close the visualstudio 2022 i cant get the logng and the container file are seeig empty. only run time i can see the file inside the container . how can i solve this issue .