Install Docker Toolbox To Home Directory ($HOME)

Hi! I would like to build and install Docker Toolbox to my home directory only, and not system-wide for all users. I wish to install to $HOME/local/bin. I work on OS X. How can I do this? I think I need to install the Go programming language, then clone the Docker Machine and Docker Toolbox from Github. I’ve cloned Docker Machine, but the README file gives no hint as to how to build and install, and there is no INSTALL file with directions either.

My goal is to eventually try to run Eclipse Che.

Thanks!

Bob

Hey Bob,

You’ll want to follow these instructions first: https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/mac/

Then to get started with Docker Machine, follow these instructions: https://docs.docker.com/machine/get-started/

Then jump back to “Running a Docker Container” in the first set of directions to go through hello-world. You don’t need to install Go - there’s a binary already in Docker Toolbox.

Hope that helps!

Hey Mackenzie,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me.

The installer for Docker Toolbox, on the Mac, will install to /usr/local/bin. I do not want Docker Toolbox binaries installed to that location. What I prefer is to install all the binaries to $HOME/local/bin (which for me would resolve to /Users/bc/local/bin.)

Could I change the installation directory for Docker Toolbox? I’ve tried doing that while running the binary *.dmg image, but it seems to insist on installing to /usr/local/bin.

My other choice would be compiling from source code, and setting up a custom installation directory. Similar to what a classic `configure’ script would allow: ‘–prefix=/Users/bc/local’ would be the installation directory and under that would be the bin, lib, and other directories.

I hope this clarifies what I want to do.

Thanks!

Bob

Ah, gotcha. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like you can change the installation location to ~/local/bin on OSX, through the GUI or CLI. You’ll probably have to install everything individually, like you mentioned.

I’d suggest using homebrew and overriding the default symbolic linking to usr/local/bin with brew unlink docker and then manually linking it to ~/local/bin. This should make installation a little easier. If you use homebrew you won’t need to install Go.