Installing Docker on Windows 10 Home

Thanks Marcel, I just tried it and it worked flawlessly on windows 10 home. I ran both scripts. Hopefully, like you said, docker will check if the Hyper-V installation exists vs the windows edition…

Frustrating, I meet all the requirements and it has been impossible for me to install, I even had to deactivate Virtualization in the BIOS because otherwise Super Windows Pro did not start.

Thank you hessi9!

With your tip, I was able to install the latest version of Docker on windows 10 Home:

1- I just used your * .bat script to install the Hyper-V components

2- After to install the last version (with .exe file and not need to use an old .msi modified file), I just had to temporarily modify the windows registry to validate the prerequisites:

Change in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion :
EditionID: Core --> Professional
ProductName: Windows 10 Home --> Windows 10 Pro
(Not sure “ProductName” it’s necessary, I think only the “EditionID” key is used)

After installing docker, remember to restore the original keys !!!

4 Likes

Didn’t work for me :frowning:

27.01.2019 I’ve sucessfully installed docker on win 10 Home (1809) machine:

1. need to install both Hyper-V and Containers mentioned above,
    1. need to overwrite the registry properties mentioned above.
    1. Just run the latest official docker installer for Windows :slight_smile:

and done, docker is installed.

Thank you mapk and hessi9 for your work !
Docker is now successfuly installed on my Windows 10 Home, and works like a charm !!

Instalation was ok but when I run it says:
“Docker doesn’t support your Windows version. Check documentation for minimum requirements”

I had this problem sometimes, for example by doing a update of Docker after problems with kinematic… Don’t use “check for update”, but manually install the latest version.
Normally if you change the two keys in the register, just the time to pass the checks, install and run must work.
Maybe after installation, you have to run Docker a first time before resetting the defaults keys and restarting the PC. I remember I did that and docker worked fine.

Or maybe your Windows 10 version is not up to date? I have 17134 for CurrentBuild and 1803 for ReleaseId
“Docker System Requirements: 1607 Anniversary Update, Build 14393 or later”

I just bought a win 10 pro key for £9.49

I have exactly this Windows version. Docker is version 18.09.1, build 4c52b90. The keys are automatically reset after restarting. Tried to reinstall and start. Same problem.

Rather than trying to find a workaround I found that buying a win10 pro key for £9.49 is much less hassle.
but thats if your willing to pay just to upgrade.

Thanks for that :wink:

I have run your two scripts and Hyper-V components was added perfectly. To install docker I have used @mapk solution (thanks for that). Finally I had problem with Docker Pull Command (I had error … something). I used that topic to solve this problem: fresh install - could not read CA certificate. The system cannot find the path specified. · Issue #1746 · docker/for-win · GitHub (leehaskings commented on 27 Apr 2018).

Remove DOCKER_* from command prompt or PowerShell, i used PowerShell. using following steps

[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_CERT_PATH”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_HOST”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_TOOLBOX_INSTALL_PATH”, $null, “User”)

And now every thing works great on my Windows home 10. I’m happy of that :wink:

tomek

1 Like

Can someone confirm if @mapk and @hessi9 method works for installing docker in Windows 10 Home 1809 as I don’t want to mess up my laptop. Also in Docker Toolbox I get the following error while installing even though virtualisation is enabled in BIOS:

This computer doesn’t have VT-X/AMD-v enabled.

Hyper-V and Virtualbox don’t work together:

Thanks @hessi9 and @mapk, docker runs great on windows 10 home with your fixes :slight_smile: virtualization needs to be enabled in bios for docker to start/
Docker should allow windows 10 home since it works…

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. Just buying an old win pro 7 key and to update win 10 home to pro is really the fastest possibility i guess instead fo working with some Workarounds. Thanks nugai worked like a charm.

Hi after running the scripts and making a change in registry the installation coninue without any errors. However after logging off and onn as sugested at the end I got error from starting daemon complaining about incorrect windows version. Thus “docker version” cmd also finishes with error at the end, that no daemon is running.

An error occurred
Docker doesn’t support your Windows version. Check documentation for minimum requirements

1 Like

Hi, just ran both scripts, changed the registry, installed version 18.09.2, changed registry back, logged in, and ran hello-world.
So far everything working perfectly.

@mapk sry for not updating but I got Docker for windows working two weeks ago and it works perfectly without any problems. Today I was trying to trying to setup a virtual machine in virtualbox and when it didn’t work there I moved to VMware and it said that there was an issue when trying to start the vm as it something in hyper-v seems to block it. So I was wondering if there is a way to remove the hyper-v and containers things we did when we ran the bat script.
Or will resetting the pc reset everything to default state coz anyway I was going to reset my pc in April.

Indeed, with hyper-v installed and activated and registry change it is running now on my windows home.
Strange that these guys don’t support this from the start.